People ask me for good book recommendations on a regular basis. I love books. I admit, I have too many. I also admit checking books out at the library has never worked for me. For whatever reason, I need to own, to possess, to write in the books that mentor, entertain and form me. I would probably be a millionaire if I could merely check them out at my local library.
When I am asked for a recommendation, I tend to ask questions in order to find out where a particular person is at on their journey; what they are hoping the book will do for them; or what deeper work they sense God is up to in their lives. After I ponder their answers, I have multiple good ‘old friends’ whose clothing of worn, aged pages might be a potential help or new love.
As Fall approaches, and you have visions of entering into the pages of a biblio-journey that will change your life, while savoring a steaming cup of dark roast coffee on a chilly misty morning next to the warmth of your crackling fire, then read on. Here are some offerings that you may not have read.
Here is my disclaimer. I read widely. I read critically. I don’t always read books that I agree with, in fact I generally find ideas that I disagree with in almost every book. So there will be authors in my list that you might think, “Really Monty? I can’t believe you recommended that book!”
It seems we have lost the ability to discern, critique and think for ourselves. We tend to read books exclusively by people we like, or who think exactly as we do. We dislike being stretched, or heaven forbid, challenged in what we think or believe. We need to learn to read, ruminate, ponder, dialog, disagree, stretch and ultimately grow. To that end, we all need some authors who cause us to ask tougher, deeper question freeing us from tribal dominance and the status-quo.
A final disclaimer, the books are not in any order, just some titles you might not have encountered yet.
Having said that, here are some books to consider reading this Fall:
- Bonhoeffer, Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy. by Eric Metaxas
- Sabbath as Resistance: Saying No to the Culture of Now, by Walter Brueggeman
- Strengthening the Soul of Your Leadership: Seeking God in the Crucible of Ministry. by Ruth Haley Barton
- The Way of a Pilgrim (Russian Spiritual Classic). by anonymous
- The Normal Christian Life. by Watchman Lee
- The Complete Stories (FSG Classics). by Flannery O’Connor
- The Prodigal God. by Tim Keller
- Disunity in Christ: Uncovering the Hidden Forces that Keep Us Apart. by Christena Cleveland
- Ruthless Trust. by Brennan Manning
- The Singer. By Calvin Miller
- Tip and the Gipper: When Politics Worked . by Chris Matthews
- The Sparrow. by Mary Doria Russell
- The Cure. by Bill Thrall
- The Go-Giver: A Little Story About a Powerful Business Idea. by Bob Burg
- Tattoos on the Heart: The Power of Boundless Compassion. by Gregory Boyle
- What Got You Here Won’t Get You There: How Successful People Become Even More Successful.by Marshall Goldsmith
- How God Became King: The Forgotten Story of the Gospels. by N. T. Wright
- The Alchemist. by Paulo Coelho
- The Jesus Creed: Loving God, Loving Others. by Scot Mcknight
- Wisdom of the Sadhu: Teachings of Sundar Singh. by Sadhu Sundar Singh
- Pilgrim at Tinker Creek (Harper Perennial Modern Classics). by Annie Dillard
- The God of Small Things: A Novel. by Arundhati Roy
- Night (Night). by Elie Wiesel
- The Shack. by Wm. Paul Young
- Bonus book: Sacred Space. by MC Wright 🙂